So today the family had a life changing experience. Our family of 3 has now become a foursome. It was thrilling, anxiety-filled, frightening, and wonderful all at the same time. I started feeling contractions at 4:15AM and was in denial for about an hour. I thought, it can't be happening now, I still have errands that I need to run. I tried to go back to sleep, but they continued to come. At around 6:30 AM I resigned myself to the fact that I was in labor. We called the doctor and packed up my stuff to go to the hospital. I think Mateo could sense something was up because he woke up earlier than usual and sort of just monitored me as I was going through the contractions asking every once in a while - "Are you happy Mommy?" to which I would respond "Yes." I kissed him goodbye (he was going to stay with Grandma until his other grandparents and aunt came by to relieve her) and we were off to the hospital. After waiting a little while, I finally saw a doctor who checked me out and I wasn't very far along (3cm), there was also a very minor indication that as I had contractions the baby's heart rate would drop. I thought to myself "oh no not again" as this was the reason Mateo was born via C-section. The doctor wanted to check me in so they could continue to monitor my progress and figure out a plan. I did progress slowly, but there was some concern that progress wouldn't continue to progress quickly enough. The plan was really to be patient and luckily the baby's tracings were no longer an issue, so after getting a little something to boost my labor my body took over and I was ready to push by about 9PM. When I heard the doctor say that I was shocked...I couldn't believe I was actually going to get to do it my way. My mom held my head and Eddie took a leg and it was pushing time. As a first time pusher the doctor predicted I would be pushing for about 45 minutes to an hour, but much to everyone's amazement (especially mine) our beautiful baby girl was born at 9:18pm. Welcome to the world Lucia Vielot Gonzalez the wait was worth it!
Mommy and Mateo take a pic together before Mommy heads to the hospital to have baby sister Lucia
One last shot of me at 39 weeks 2 days
Lucia, right after birth gets weighed in at 6lbs, 14oz
Papi, looking wild-eyed, holding Lucia (please note that this time around I got to hold the baby first)
Grandma (who was in the room during labor and delivery) gets to hold her granddaughter as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment